Saturday, 27 June 2015

National Ladies Shooting Day

Apologies dear reader for the absence of recent posts, one has been somewhat caught up with work and the General Election Campaign 2015. Now that the Conservatives are back in power with a majority this allows me a bit more time to blog.
Today was the day I went to my first ever clay pigeon shooting event organised by the Shotgun and Chelsea Bun Club. As part of National Ladies Shooting Day the club had organised taster days across the country where ladies could book to have a go at shooting under the instruction of a seasoned expert.
My nearest event was at the E.J. Churchill ground in Buckinghamshire and after a few wrong turns (mostly due to the Sat Nav and my lack of sense of direction) I arrived. Ladies of all ages were in attendance and had been grouped into teams according to ability. After a quick cup of coffee it was off with our instructor to have a go at some of the pegs.
Our instructor for the day was a lovely older gentleman called Terry who took my team through the basics of a 20 gauge shot gun, gun safety and the techniques for shooting on a teal, rabbit and driven pegs.
I had been clay pigeon shooting a couple of times before but it was great to have some tuition on how to do it properly and correct any mistakes I was making. After a few off shots I got into my stride and managed to hit the clays. After 30 shots across the pegs my total score was 22. Not bad for a beginner!
After the shooting it was back to the lodge for some delicious homemade cakes and a cup of coffee. The selection was so delicious it was hard to pick what to have! In the end I chose the chocolate brownie cake, which did not disappoint.
The day was sponsored by Browning so after the cake there was a chance to try some of their guns on the ground before the winners of the day were announced. I was delighted to have come top in my team and been awarded a Browning shooting cap and protective glasses.
I would like to thank the Shotgun and Chelsea Bun Club for organising the day. It was great to meet fellow members and bond over clay pigeon shooting and tasty cake. If you have the opportunity to attend a future day I would thoroughly recommend it!

No comments: