Wednesday, 3 April 2013

The New Class System

Today the BBC announced that Britain no longer has a three tier class system but instead can now be divided into seven different groups. The new groups are Elite, Established Middle Class, Technical Middle Class, New Affluent Workers, Traditional Working Class, Emergent Service Workers and Precariat. It is these groups that allegedly replace the old and more basic system of Upper, Middle and Working Class.

Pretty much all day my Facebook and Twitter feeds have been filled with people taking this quiz to discover what new class it is that they in fact now belong to. So not wanting to be one to be left out I decided to give it a try. I decided that the best thing to do was to begin by filling it in honestly as reflects my current work situation and leisure activities. 

The quiz begins by asking you to tick boxes to provide your rough income level; 0-10K, 10-20K etc, then whether or not you own your own house and lastly what your savings level is. The next section gives you a list of jobs of varying levels of pay, intelligent and skill with the very general question of 'tick if you know someone who works in this industry'. Lastly, you are given a list of cultural activities and asked to tick which of them you do in your free time. These activities range from 'listen to rap music' to 'go to the opera'.

After a few seconds (it was peak time and Virgin Internet does not like this) my results were in and am I pleased to announce that I am now a member of the 'Emergent Service Worker Class'. The definition of which is a 'class group [which] is financially insecure, scoring low for savings and house value, but high for social and cultural factors' and whose key points are that I am young, cultural and rent my own flat. In other words 'unemployed middle class'. 

My reaction to this was one of 'well no shit Sherlock' given that I am currently unemployed, spent six years at University and read Dickens, Wilde and Tolstoy for fun it comes as genuinely no surprise to me that my income is low, my friendship circle includes nurses, lawyers, teachers and other professionals, and in my spare time I listen to classical music, read, visit museums and watch sport. Nice to see that my license fee to the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation is going to good use on truly groundbreaking research.

If you would like to take the quiz and finally discover which class it is that you in fact belong to then click here. Warning! The results may not surprise you.

No comments: