Sunday, 7 April 2013

Favourite Literary Quotes

Being unemployed has, obviously, given me a lot of free time something, which after six years at UCL, is a slightly strange experience. Now, I am the sort of person who likes to put their time to good use and not be without an occupation. So, aside from when I am doing job applications, attending interviews or doing work for my internship I am using my time to explore parts of London I have not visited before and to read my way through all the books I have wanted to read and not found the time to read.

Now, dear reader, before you jump in and remark about 50 Shades of Grey I feel I should state that this is NOT on the list. My 'To Read' list comprises of a mix between classic literature such as Dickens, Hugo and Wilde as well as some more modern works such as Girl with a Dragon Tattoo. Aside from finally managing to discover some great works of literature I am also finding some fantastic quotes and I will share just a few of them with you.

From The Picture of Dorian Gray by the wonderful Oscar Wilde we have;

“Experience is merely the name men gave to their mistakes.”

“The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.” 

“There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.”

“Because to influence a person is to give him one's own soul. He does not think his natural thoughts, or burn with his natural passions. His virtues are not real to him. His sins, if there are such things as sins, are borrowed. He becomes an echo of some one else's music, an actor of a part that has not been written for him. The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly -- that is what each of us is here for. People are afraid of themselves, nowadays. They have forgotten the highest of all duties, the duty that one owes to oneself. Of course they are charitable. They feed the hungry, and clothe the beggar. But their own souls starve, and are naked. Courage has gone out of our race. Perhaps we never really had it. The terror of society, which is the basis of morals, the terror of God, which is the secret of religion -- these are the two things that govern us.” 

From Dickens there is;

"Out of my thoughts! You are part of my existence, part of myself. You have been in every line I have ever read, since I first came here, the rough common boy who poor heart you wounded even then. You have been in every prospect I have ever seen since - on the river, on the sails of the ships, on the marshes, in the clouds, in the light, in the darkness, in the wind, in the woods, in the sea, in the streets. You have been the embodiment of every graceful fancy that my min has ever become acquainted with... To the last hour of my life, you cannot choose but remain part of my character, part of the little good in me, part of the evil."

And from Tolkien;
“Where there's life there's hope.” 

“Don't ever laugh at live Dragons, Bilbo you fool!”  

Now back to job hunting.

No comments: