Sunday, 13 January 2013

Funemployment 4 - The Job Centre II

The new year broke and I was still firmly in 'Funemployment', which meant one thing - another trip to the Job Centre. It was with much trepidation that I awoke on the morning of said visit. Based on my experiences from the previous time I had entered there my expectations were not high.
The visit did not get off to a great start as I managed to arrive late. I was told 11:40 by the 'adviser', but it turned out that when I checked the form I was in fact meant to be there at 11:10. The time I realised this - 11:20. Luckily as I entered the Job Centre, no one seemed to notice. Not sure if was a blessing or a sign of incompetentence.
My experiences this time were much improved on last time, I saw a different person (the previous one was leaning against a filing cabinet, deeply engaged in conversation with a colleague discussing how they had each spent New Years Eve) who actually turned out to be both helpful and encouraging. I was informed that I was on the right track, looked at the booklet I have to fill in each week then went 'Wow! That's a lot of job applications! You really do want to work don't you?!'. The look of genuine shock on their face implied that this seemed to be a rare occasion.
Despite being told that I would need to attend on a weekly basis due to a lack of free appointments I would have to return in 2 weeks. I am hoping that the next person I see will be just as helpful, however, based on the previous experience it may be that I have been lulled into a false sense of security. Only my next trip will tell.

No comments: