Saturday, 23 July 2011

R.I.P Amy Winehouse

According to the news it would seem that singer Amy Winehouse had died at the age of 27. Early reports on The Telegraph Website and BBC news 24 state that it was from a drink/drugs overdose. In all honesty it is a shock that she is dead, but the cause of death is no surprise.
For as long as I have been aware of Amy Winehouse as a musician I have been sadly aware of the fact that she had a weakness for alcohol and drugs. When the London Lite was still in circulation images of her on nights out often graced the front pages and her reputation for partying was infamous. As a fan of her music, and only being a few years younger than her, I did hope that she might be able to turn her life around but in this case it seemed her addiction was just too strong.
Amy Winehouse is not the only star to die young from substance abuse. Amy now joins Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrisons as stars who only made it to 27. Amy will probably be best remembered for her song 'Rehab' in which she sings about how 'they tried to make me go to rehab, but I said "no, no, no"'. In hindsight Amy clearly should have said 'Yes!' Video below:

No comments: