Saturday, 8 November 2008

Russian trains

As I previously wrote I travelled to Ekaterinburg by Russian train and I have got to say it was one of the most interesting and strangest experiences of my life. After spending 29 hours on the train with nothing really to do except my homework and sleep it was a relief to get off even if it was 4:30am and it was freezing cold. Travelling by Russian train was one of the most surreal experience of my life I travelled the equivilent distance of Land's End to John O'Groats and back about twice and went forward in time by 2 hours however because you are constantly moving you have no perception of time or distance. My train left Moscow around 11pm Moscow Time and I woke up about 9am (Moscow Time) and had no clue whether we were just outside Moscow or halfway to Vladivostok, this is also not helped by the fact that pretty much all of the Russian landscape looks the same.
I was travelling by 'Platskarta' which basically means you are in a carriage with about 60 other Russian people, you are divided up into blocks of 4 and then again into two bunk beds. Luckily for me my neighbours were really nice and chatted to me a bit in Russian for some of the journey. The first you have to do is make your bed so that you can then sleep on it if you so wish (I did). I thought that being in a carriage with so many other people would be noisy and I wouldn't be able to sleep but the movement of the train lulls you to sleep.
I have my return journey to Moscow to make next week and hopefully it will be just as nice as my journey out here. The only thing I didn't like was that the toilet was well interesting to say the least and it was not possible to have a shower so when I arrived I felt fairly dirty and all i wanted to do was shower. However it is one of those things that should go on a list of 'Things to do before you die'.

No comments: