Saturday, 11 October 2008

Something good out of something bad

Last Sunday I was sat in church not really feeling like I wanted to be there after a week of problems with my bank cards, babushkas, cats and nearly setting fire to my oven etc and generally feeling like I wanted to go home and most likely would have done not for the fact that I still don't have my passport as it's STILL being registered! Anyways in the sermon the priest told us this story:
"Something good always comes out of something bad, this week a rich business man had lost all his money shortly before embarking on a journey on his private jet. Having lost his money he could not afford to fly it and it was grounded. The air hostess was staying in the hotel opposite the church came to see the priest and explained the man's troubles and that the plane had already been stocked up with food, which was now useless. She then asked if there was anyone in Moscow who had use of it. At once the priest phoned the Salvation Army and they took the food and gave it to all the poor in Moscow. The man may have lost all his money and wealth but a lot of people that night got a meal, which they wouldn't have done otherwise."
This then made me realise that although things may have been a bit rough this week atleast I have a roof over my head and people who love and care about me.

2 comments:

Nick said...

ummm except if he hadn't lost his money then he'd have still been paying tax which could have allowed an ongoing supply of food. The boost to the economy of his successful business may have provided jobs for those who are struggling for food. A successful business, in this country, would be expected to have community engagement programmes to work for the benefit of their local community.

Laura-Rose said...

Don't be such a pessimist! So the economy got a little worse, that would have happened anyway but this way lots of homeless people got food they would not otherwise have had. Plus you are judging it based on the UK Economic situation and everyday life and not the Russian version of everyday life.