Friday, 31 October 2008

Films and Theatre

I haven't blogged a huge amount recently mostly due to the fact that I do not have internet at home, it was the week before the holidays so we had a stupidly high level of work to do and being tired from spending my time running around Moscow seeing the sights.
Part of being a tourist, in my belief, is to go to the cinema and/or theatre to watch something in the native language of the country you are in, something that I have done since my last post. With my Russian friends I went to see the film "Admiral" and with my English friends from Language Link went to see the play version of the Bulgakov novel "Master and Margarita".
Admiral
I really enjoyed this film hugely however I think this is due to the fact that it is aimed more at the Western Market rather than the Russian market. In short because if the West like it the film can be sold for huge amounts of money, and at the end of the day that is what makes the world go around. Anyway the film follows the life of Adimiral Kolchak of the White Army around the time of the 1917 Revolution. The film shows the love between him and his mistress (then possibly his wife, I didn't kind get whether or not they marry) and the on going war with the Red Army. For special effects nuts this is a great film and some of the sea battle scenes have been likened to scenes from Titanic. This film is a must for anyone who likes modern war films mixed with a bit of romance. Oh and those who like Konstantin Khabansky.
Master and Margarita
I have read the book and seen the Russian TV serial of this work and now I have seen the play. Of all of the versions of this work I have experienced this one was by far the most surreal and far out there but still enjoyable. I was confused for the first 10 minutes or so as the storyline was rearranged slightly for dramatic effect but once I realised what was going on I was absorbed until the end, well until half time when we ran to the nearest bakery to buy some donuts for our dinner (how I love beign a student :P). Bulgakov is one of my favourite authors and it was wonderful to have the chance to watch one of his works live on stage. I was gutted when I learned that I had missed the chance to see his play 'The White Guard" with Konstantin Khabansky as the lead role but this made up for it.
In short if you are ever in Russia it is, in my view, the best place for any Cinema lover or Theatre addict.

No comments: