Tuesday, 29 July 2008

Campaigning in Pentyrch

Yesterday I ventured over the border to an area just outside of Cardiff called Pentyrch, pronounced 'Pent-urk' and not 'pen-rickt' as Chris and I were doing. The day was spent with Nick, Chris and I delivering pledge letters to the residents on behalf of Craig Williams the Conservative Candidate in this by-election. For the first time this May the Conservatives stole the vote away from Labour but sadly owing to doctors order the councillor had to resign.
During the day much merriment was provided by Chris and I trying to pronounce the Welsh house names and street signs. For example 'Tyllwyd' is pronounced 'Tu-huh-wud' and not 'Till-wid'. Though I seam to speak a lot of languages, Welsh, sadly in this instance, is not one of those languages.
We started off in, as Nick described it, the 'nasty bit', which I assumed meant the area that was not a Conservative strong hold and was nasty because all the residents would throw things at us. No, it turned out to be nasty because most of it was spread along the mountains that surrounded the valley. I thought I had seen steep hills living near the Cotswold's but this was nothing! After a few hours of climbing upwards and delivering the letters we came and across an inn and decided that it was lunchtime.
After lunch we continued on with the quest. For my first proper trip to Wales it was really nice, the sun was shining, the surroundings were beautiful and everyone we met was really friendly. After we had delivered the letters we met up with Craig the candidate for a few pictures. The moment we decided to take some pictures the heavens opened and when it rains in Wales, it REALLY rains in Wales. After a quick tour of Cardiff it was time to go.
The voting takes place in the Pentyrch by-election on Thursday and I wish Craig Williams every success in his campaign. In May the seat had a 49 majority let's hope that Craig can extent this lead and beat Labour, Plaid Cymru and the Lib Dems.

6 comments:

Nick said...

There's no way I said it was 'Tu-huh-wud'!

Damon Lord said...

Do I spend the next half hour explaining the orthography and phonology of the Welsh language or shall I just go to bed? It is late....

Laura-Rose said...

You could Damon, I am interested to learn how exactly you pronounce anything in Welsh, the sounds seem to make no sense!

Activist said...

So the Tory's had to look over the bridge to get a team together eh? Well we got you down to 12 votes and a dry day would have seen you out. Strangely the Welsh Labour team had no problem pronouncing the names of houses and streets in its own country and community.

Laura-Rose said...

I would like to say that the Welsh Conservatives did not 'have to look over the bridge to get a team together' I was out campaigning volentarily after asking my friends in the party if they knew of any campaigns going on where campaigning was not just on a Saturday. Where I currently reside campaigning is primarily done at the weekend while I am working. Not wanting to miss out in campaigning over the summer I came and helped out in Pentyrch.
As far as I am concerned it seems to show the strength and unity within our party that members are willing to help each other out in elections and by-elections reguardless of where the campaigning may be located.

Nick said...

Activist,

Your candidate fought a fine campaign and in the current climate achieved an impressive result. I'd focus on that rather than whinging on blogs.