Saturday, 31 May 2008

Pushkin

It's been a while since I posted any Russian Poetry on my blog so I felt it time. I love this poem by Pushkin. it has a dual reading- one of someone hopelesly dreaming over a failled love but also can be read as someone who has been scorned. Either way I love it!

Я вас любил: любовь еще, быть может
Я вас любил: любовь еще, быть может...
В душе моей угасла не совсем;
Но пусть она вас больше не тревожит,
Я не хочу печлаить вас ничем.

Я вас любил безмолвно, безнадежно,
то робостью , то ревностью томим;
Я вас любил так искренно, так нежно,
Как дай вам Бог любимой быть другим.

Vague Translation:
I loved you, a love that still might be....
In my soul the love did not quite go out
But the love does not trouble you anymore,
I do not want anything to sadden you.

I loved you silently, hopelessly,
With timidity, with a jealousy;
I loved you so sincerely, so tenderly,
As God gives your love to another.

NB I am still studying so please ignore any translation mistakes.

No comments: